Do You Have A Case For Wrongful Job Termination?

As an employee, it’s expected of you to complete your job tasks efficiently, communicate with your coworkers appropriately, and follow the company rulebook precisely.

Despite your best efforts, the business decides to terminate your contract. But something doesn’t feel right — you never showed up late, always obeyed company policies, and delivered your work on time.

Arkansas is an at-will state, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have a case for wrongful termination. If you have solid evidence that your company fired you illegally, you can fight against them and receive a settlement upon winning.

Are you wondering about employment laws in Arkansas? Let’s review “at-will” employment, types of discrimination, and the steps for initiating a wrongful termination lawsuit.


What Does Employment At-Will Mean?

Arkansas businesses have the right to legally terminate any employees at any time. However, that doesn’t mean that companies have the right to fire employees for any reason.



Some Arkansas companies will use the facade of at-will employment to cover themselves for illegal termination — but you as the ex-employee knows when something doesn’t feel right. With the proper evidence, the following reasons may qualify for a wrongful termination suit.


Discrimination Types:

  • Age
  • Disability
  • Gender
  • Pregnancy or Maternal/Paternal Leave
  • Race
  • Religion
  • Sexual Orientation


If you feel that you may have been fired due to discrimination, you may have the opportunity to sue the business according to Title VII. Essentially, Title VII in the Civil Rights Act of 1964 states the same as above, you cannot fire an individual due to age, race, gender, disability, religion, or other reasons.

However, as the plaintiff, you have the burden of proof, which means you’ll need evidence that your job fired you due to discrimination.


How To Start A Wrongful Termination Lawsuit

After your wrongful firing, you have 180 days (or approximately six months) to file a complaint with the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission (EEOC). There are a few ways to complete a formal complaint:

  • Phone Call
  • Online
  • In-Person
  • Mail

If you file via phone or online, you’ll need to schedule an appointment and travel to an EEOC office to make a formal complaint. Once you file a complaint, the EEOC will review your testimony and give you one of two options: settle or sue your former company.



At any point in time, you should employ an attorney to help during the process. A good lawyer will help you compile evidence regarding your wrongful termination and fight for your legal rights in the state of Arkansas.

It’s a tough lawsuit to win, but acquiring the proper attorney who understands wrongful termination laws will greatly help create a court case against your former employer.


Contact The Business Law Professionals At Hickey & Hull For Representation

If you think you have a case for wrongful termination, or you’ve filed a formal complaint with the EEOC and want to sue your previous employer, schedule a meeting with an attorney at Hickey & Hull.

Our team of professionals know Arkansas law regarding job discrimination and have fought cases for wrongful termination in the past. We understand that this is a stressful time, so we strive to make everything as simple as possible and aim to achieve the best possible outcome in the courtroom.

With five different law offices across the state of Arkansas, our team of paralegals and attorneys are here to help you. Contact Hickey & Hull today to discuss your case and start the legal proceedings against your former employer today!