prove parental alienation

How to Prove Parental Alienation

Have you heard that your ex-spouse talks bad about you? Are you concerned they are telling your child(ren) horrible things about your relationship? Do you feel your relationship with your child is slipping away?

If you're felt any of these ways over the last several months to a few years, you may have experienced parental alienation.

The challenge with parental alienation is that it often doesn't come in physical manifestations. Although it is abuse, the effects are psychological and emotional, making it challenging to prove.

However, when you use these four steps alongside working with your lawyer, you can prove you've experienced parental alienation.

Step 1: Find Legitimate Witnesses

Regardless of the crime or level of court, every good case has credible witnesses. Finding a suitable witness can help you prove your case for claims regarding parental alienation.

A legitimate witness can be an older child who doesn't suffer from parental alienation syndrome yet, a younger child unaware of the ramifications of what their parent says and does, a grandparent who witnesses the behavior, and any other friends or family who can share their experiences.

Step 2: Document Events

While finding a witness, document everything that happens to you over several months. Although you don't want to expose your child(ren) to more psychological and emotional abuse, document as much data as you can to build a stronger case when you expect parental alienation occurs.

When documenting events, write down as much detail as possible. Please include the date, location, and a thorough recounting of the events in your journal.

Step 3: Try Conversation and Therapy

Throughout this process, try talking with your children and ex-spouse. During these conversations, don't specify parental alienation as this can cause friction and ruin future attempts at reunification.

Instead, work to establish a relationship with your children. Establishing trust and a genuine connection are essential to your case.

Reunification therapy is a great option when a conversation doesn't work. During reunification therapy, you and your child(ren) meet with a licensed family therapist to repair and strengthen the relationship.

Step 4: Go to Trial

If conversation and therapy don't work, you might consider taking the alienating parent to court. Litigation rarely happens in these cases because most couples work it out with their lawyers, thus avoiding court.

However, if a hearing is the only option left, prepare your case with your lawyer. Remember, parental alienation isn't physical abuse, so your case needs to be airtight to prove the psychological and emotional toll on your children.


Proving parental alienation is a tough road to tread and requires you to have the utmost patience and resilience. To verify your case, you'll need to find a witness, document important events, talk with your children and ex, and prepare for trial if necessary.

Whether you're working on step one or are ready to go to trial, work with the best family lawyers in Northwest Arkansas, Hickey and Hull Law Partners. We will help you develop and build your case so that you can maintain a relationship with your children.